Furry Friends Abound at the St. Louis Wiener Dog Derby

/
0 Comments
The St. Louis Wiener Dog Derby is an annual event held as part of the Mardi Gras celebration near the historic Soulard Farmers' Market. Dachshund owners from all over the city bring their dogs to race in the competition. The turnout this Sunday was quite prolific so we had a really hard time seeting the actual dogs in the race, but I did get to pester the crowd for some adorable pictures of their furry companions.

Spirits were high as the weather today was radiant and crisp. I was very grateful to all the dog owners and unsuspecting strangers, who let me take photos to my hearts content without questioning my sanity. 

The puppies are put behind a holding area and then the wienies are release together. The competition is real.





The Derby is as much about the dogs in the race as it is about the onlookers. Here's my montage of dog paparazzi photos. So many puppies so little time. Be still my heart.

Wow have you seen anything so precious as this husky puppy wearing his own Mardi Gras beads? Thank nature for puppies!!
I require this affection in my life


I've always thought this but pet owners are some of the raddest and happiest people. Dogs are especially upbeat and fun. They're also quite therapeutic, especially for college students who spend their lives gawking at glowing rectangles and don't get enough time with living things (refer to my bio for exhibit A).

This is probably my favorite shot of the batch.
Oh yeah, and then there were these three who saw me with a camera and wanted their picture taken. I have no idea who you are but if you see this one day just know that I went through all of this trouble to edit this photo and post it on the internet, K you're welcome. 

So I'd say this was a pretty fulfilling Sunday excursion into the city. If you're in the area I definitely recommend checking this out next year, especially if you are a dog owner. 

That's it, until next time, eat well and cuddle with puppies.

                                                       -Jane







You may also like

No comments: