[Review] Tearliner - Grey Garden

/
0 Comments


Wow, hello world of prolific writing. This blog has taken too long to get started, because I'm basically landlord of writer's block. This blog is going to be a mishmash of in depth review of music and other things I find awesome, and random musings. So if anybody out there is interested in jabbering with me about things we're obsessed over, then read on!

I'm really excited to start with something that has become very dear to my heart over the past week. This album has been calling out my name since it was first released in September of last year. If you're not familiar with 티어라이너 (Tearliner), they are signed under the indie powerhouse Pastel Music, along with such notable artists as Humming Urban Stereo, Casker, Zitten, and Sogyumo Acacia Band. They're probably most famous for their contributions to the OST of drama sensation Coffee Prince a few years back, but they've mostly been under the radar since their release of Polaroid Life in 2007.

I've listened extensively to all of Tearliner's previous works before,and have a lot of love for their music. Embrace All, a song that easily landed a place in my list of all time favorites, is just the epitome of melodic catharsis (you can find out why if you click on the link). Needless to say, I was overjoyed to hear that Grey Garden, their second full album, was finally being released in September of 2013.


To my dismay, I couldn't find anyone who sold digital versions of this album, so the New Year had arrived and still, I was hitting the replay button furiously on youtube videos of Love Traveler and 너는 내게, both of which grabbed me instantly. I couldn't stop thinking about this possibly amazing album, and ended up paying quite a pretty penny to get it all the way to middle of nowhere America. And here is the CD in all its glory!




The album lists 14 songs, all of them beautiful and distinct. Included is a lovely little number featuring 융진 (Yoong Jin), vocalist for Casker. There's also an original recording of Embrace All, which made me smile with nostalgia. But when I went to listen to the CD, I found out that there was a mysterious 15th hidden track titled 나빌레라, a surprise from which I happily profited. 


The airy, hollow sound that is so characteristic of the band is still there. However the marked differences between this Album than any of Tearliner's previous works is impossible to miss. Mild but pleasant vocals take center stage here, whereas previous albums have consistently favored instrumentals. Opinions will vary from listener to listener, but for me this was a huge boost in experience, because I feel like good vocals and lyrics instantly make a song more accessible and adds that extra connection to the musician. Major kudos for the spot on incorporation of classical instruments, especially the cello. They really add a nice twinge of poignancy that sets the heart aflutter.


All in all I am happy to report that this album is nothing but pure quality. I'm beginning to understand the reason behind their 6 year hiatus. The work put into this album must have been enormous. I'd recommend this to pretty much anyone who loves a good mellow ambient rock sound. Finally, I have to share with you the quote that came on the inside jacket of the CD because it single-handedly captures how I constantly feel. Verbis Defectis Musica Incipit: Where Words Fail, Music Speaks. I will now proceed to give you less words, and more music.


Tearliner - 03. Love Traveler


Tearliner - 15. 나빌레라



You may also like

No comments: