[Review] 선결 (Sunkyeol) - EP

/
0 Comments

I listened to Sunkyeol's EP on bandcamp last week and was instantly intrigued by its unusual vibes.  It's atmospheric, but not chilly or distant in the way that I'm used to. It is folk? Is it post-rock? Is it a little bit of both but nothing like either? I don't know how else to describe this, but upon first listen it just didn't sound conventionally Korean to me (I'll probably get in trouble for saying this). Upon reading the bio, I discovered that the tracks were originally collaboration between two London college students in the early 2000's. Now played by an all Korean trio created by one of the collaborators, Kyoungmo Kim, this albums retains the essences of its extraordinarily transnational origin, and shines with a truly unique identity.

The tracks are each full of nuances that escapes expectations of typical genre distinctions, with a coalescence of novelty and unexpected familiarity. Sunkyeol's music creates space but doesn't leave it hollow. The sound is expansive, but flirts with intimacy, if that at all makes sense. The best part though, is that every tack is gentle and radiant, making them perfect companions for Sunday afternoons. My favorites are "Woolfox Depot" and "Aphex Convention," which make me imagine strolling through a bucolic European countryside, but maybe with a GoPro strapped to your head. In essence, Sunkyeol pulls off a stylish remake of nostalgia that has me excited for more.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
 


You may also like

No comments: